Re: San Pablo Atitalan, Guatemala

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:01:28 -0700

Tina Manley showed:
" <images@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: San Pablo Atitalan, Guatemala

PAWs:

The family that I stayed with this September lives in San Pablo Atitlan, Guatemala, one of the villages that was destroyed by landslides from Hurricane Stan. I've tried to find out what happened to this Tzutujil family, but have not gotten answers to the e-mails that I've sent to the agencies that I work with. The extended family lives in a tiny, remote, village on the shores of the most beautiful lake in the world, surrounded by volcanoes that slid into the lake. These are just the jpegs that were recorded automatically along with the RAW photos that I also haven't had time to process. I hope with everything else that is going on in the world that you'll remember this family.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/guatemala_2005<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,
I'm just back from Portugal and the UK of the past 4 weeks to find another of your wonderful Guatemala documentaries on a family in colour & B&W.

After reading the many perspectives of other members and considering my personal feelings about colour, B&W and people in documentaries, this is a tough call. As you know I'm a true believer of, "If you photograph people in colour, you photograph their clothes. But if you photograph them in B&W you photograph their souls!"

However, what we have here are three things, lighting, colour & content in that to make a blanket statement one type, colour or B&W, over another is misleading and it almost requires a print of each side by each, then make the decision.

It appears some with light creating a greater contrast effect makes the photograph look better in B&W than colour. Where those with less light contrast look better in colour, softer and subtle. I feel to blanket convert to B&W doesn't quite work and only those with a stronger lighting effect would be best in the conversion.

But as a teaching tool this series produced in print form in both colour and B&W would make an excellent teaching series in how one visual disipline works better in one and not the other. Or in some case they're equal, but this really requires them to be seen side by side.

The bottom line still is the overall impact of the photography and what it portrays in the lives of these people along with the talent of the photographer. In this case both work beautifully from content captured to your moving photography.

I like some right off in B&W while others just have to be left in colour for greater "feeling!" And that is what colour is about, "feeling."

Look at it this way:

"Colour is emotional. B&W is intellectual!" One you feel, the other makes you think and see!

ted