Re[2]: Black and White by Tina Manley

  • From: Harrison McClary <harrison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tina Manley <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:00:14 -0500

On Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 7:49:33 AM, Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

TM> I'm not thinking as I take the photo, "Well, I've got black
TM> and white film in here so I'll photograph this scene this way".  I'm
TM> only looking at the people and trying to capture an emotion.  I don't
TM> usually pay any attention to the technical details as I'm taking the
TM> photo - only to see that I've got enough light to hold the camera steady.

Tina,

This is where you differ from the "fine art types".  Those of us with
a journalistic or documentary bent tend to look at composition and
moment to capture the image to heck with worrying about weather it is
in color, B&W or if the image will be grainy or in todays parlance
"noisy"...after all the important thing it to tell the story.

I remember back when I worked news sometimes someone would say.."Hey I
am an artist!"  I'd almost always respond "What in the h*** are you
working at a newspaper for?  I aint no artist, I am a journalist.  I
tell the story with my pictures." LOL

BTW those are very nice images. :)

--
Harrison McClary