Re: Black and White by Tina Manley

  • From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:53:38 -0400

Tina,

I think I have to favor the color. I don't think the pictures have the tonalities, form, structure to do as converted b&w; particularly the b&w that I've seen you do in the past. I think there's a different way of seeing and constructing a picture in b&w than there is in color. For example, as you know, I'm sure, you look at someone like Josef Koudelka's book "The Gypsies" and you know that there is no way that could have been done in b&w nor shot in color and converted. The blacks, the shadows are pushed way too far down and I think that as we work and see in color (and in particular in consideration of the limitations of photomechanical reproduction) we strive towards a fuller tonal range that lacks emotionality in b&w. Not to say that yours nor others pix in color are lacking, just that in terms of tonal range there's a different way of working. My thoughts. Thanks for bearing with them.

--
Carl Socolow

http://www.socphoto.com/herethere/
http://www.leica-gallery.net/socolowpersonal/index.html