[korgypark] Re: X5 sounds to Triton Extreme

  • From: "Mitch Dailey" <medailey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 06:41:32 -0800

Hey Gazelle,

Thanks for the reply.  I've seen the X-50 in some of the music stores here
and it sounds pretty cool for the keyboard it is and it's not too expensive.
I purchsed my Triton Extreme for a pretty good price since they were
liquidating them to make room for the new M3 (which is over-rated and
overpriced).  The Triton Extreme is pretty cool because it has about 8 times
the onboard memory as the Triton Studio with about 6 or so of the expansion
boards already built into it.  The X5/X5DR's have been great and I still use
one to mix with my other boards at times.  I do a lot of
ambient/trance/tehno and modern worship style music where arpeggiation
really comes in handy as well as being able to control sweeps.  The X5DR
could not even come close to doing those type things.  My Triton Extreme and
Motif ES are now my main boards (nothing touches the ES's pianos).  The 2
compliment each other so well.  And throw in the X5DR, and it's perfect.
It's weird becuase Yamaha has some great 3rd party stuff for the Motif
series (voice libraries, etc) but Korg has almost nothing out there.  I've
had to find mulitiple forum sites and blog sites to get any kind of other
sounds for the Triton.  The 3rd party companies that they advertise from
Korg are pretty substandard (meaning you're way better off to stick with
your factoy default sounds).  My old Casio keyboard from Jr. High has better
sounds than from these 3rd party sound developers.  Other Triton users have
devloped their own sounds which blow Kidnepro and Pro-Rec out of the water.
www.motifator.com has some great options for the Motif Series (which are
developed from a lot of Kurzweil guys, ironic).

I've just been racking my brain trying to translate settings between the
Triton Extreme and X5DR.  It's the difference between buying the 12 pack of
crayola crayons and the 12,000 pack.  Thanks for all your input :)

From the Nothern Flood Ridden West Coast,
Mitch