[korgypark] Re: Seeking some cymbal/gong sounds for the X5D

  • From: Janne Simonen <janne.simonen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:47:51 +0200

Hi Jim,

On Monday 21 January 2002 17:01, you wrote:

> I've seen drummers strike soft mallets
> against a cymbal quickly, creating a short of shimmering metallic
> sound. It sounds like a cymbal hit without the crisp "ting!" attack,
> but with a long sustain, continuing for as long as the drummer strikes
> it, until he stops and it fades away.

You can simulate it with midi using a sequencer (or fast fingers :): just
take a standard cymbal sound and play it with a lot of very short notes
in succession, exactly like the drummer does. Then edit the velocities so
that you start quietly and build up the volume, and finally fade out
slowly. If it doesn't sound convincing, you can edit some controllers
like attack time or brightness to cut out the "ting!". Add some reverb
for a final touch.

That should make a very nice cymbal wash, at least it did it for me...

--
-Janne - webmaster of Korgy Park

Mr. Janne Simonen - janne.simonen@xxxxxxxxxx
Researcher, Dept. of Physics, University of Joensuu
P.O.Box 111, FIN-80101 Joensuu, Finland