[korgypark] Seeking some cymbal/gong sounds for the X5D

  • From: James Hebert <JHebert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:01:47 -0600

I'm looking for two cymbal-based sounds that I do not find among the
korgypark files.

The first is a gong (kind of like the "old-movie" gong where you see a man
swing a large mallet in slow motion...  a large, reverberant kind of gong).
If none exists, does anyone have any tips for trying to create one, or would
this be outside of the synth's capability?

The second is a sound I can only describe partially, because I don't know
the musical term for it: I've seen drummers strike soft mallets against a
cymbal quickly, creating a short of shimmering metallic sound. It sounds
like a cymbal hit without the crisp "ting!" attack, but with a long sustain,
continuing for as long as the drummer strikes it, until he stops and it
fades away.

I hope that's clear, as I'm not certain of the terms to use to describe it.
I think I could create this out of an existing cymbal sound... I'm just a
bit sketchy on details. Would it be as simple as removing (or slowing down)
the attack?

Thanks for your time,

Jim