[korgypark] SV: Re: midi control prob

  • From: "Ivens de Carvalho" <dko4342@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 23:55:17 +0100

>> I need to set up a combination or program that will allow me to play
>> the keyboard live to send midi messages on channel 11 on the upper keys
>> and another channel on the lower keys.  Is this possible on an X5D?
>
>I think you can do this with combis - as far as I remember each program
>in a combi has a parameter that sets the midi channel for it. If this is
>a case, you could just take a combi that already has a split keyboard
>(bass & piano for example) and then just set the piano on channel 11 and
>the bass on another channel. I don't have my manual here at work so I
>can't check out whether I'm right or not, but just flick through the
>combi parameters in edit mode and you'll quickly see if the midi channel
>parameters are there.

Yes, every program in the combi has it's own MIDI channel selector, and it
has key zone controls. It also has an array of toggles for control filters.
Now I have the 05R/W module, and in the module the MIDI channel settings
control the *input* MIDI channel. I usually have two keyboards. One that
operates on MIDI ch-1 the other on MIDI ch-2. But here I am using the
module as *receiver*. I don't know how the built in X5 keyboard interacts
with the main board, but I suppose the keyboard *sends* messages much like
any run-of-the-mill cheapo 'stupid' MIDI keyboard out there, that is on one
MIDI channel only at a time. Usually the small cheap external MIDI keyboards
send on one and only one channel at a time. So that means that you probably
can't do it from the X5 built in keyboard. Even if you have external
keyboards
that send MIDI into the X5, my guess is that all MIDI, no matter the
internal
key zones, is sent directly to the thru port, and are not affected by the
settings of the combi.

Cheers

Frank