[korgypark] Re: Portamento on the X5D???

  • From: "Valhalla" <valhalla03@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:21:58 -0500

Hey Frank,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately that is pretty much what I expected
about portamento.

> The X5 cannot do this.

That would include the X5D too of course.....

> Why don't you make the "From the beginning" sound on your DX7 instead. The
> DX7 CAN do that, and contrary to popular belief incredibly well! If you
are
> interested I have programmed a couple of "moog" sounds on the DX7 that I
> could send to you. They should be played with an expression pedal for the
> "filter sweeps".

Yes...please send them to me. That would be great! I've been looking for
great patches for the DX7 as well as the Korg. Do you know of any good
resources online for this? I would appreciate any patches you have for the
DX7.

Do you know if Sound Editor will work with the DX7 or is that just for Korg?
I was using SoundLib in the past for the DX.

> The X5 is a sample based synth. That essentially means that each note is
the
> playback of a sample. So when you play one note and then another in
another
> place you have a problem how to make a portamento.

That makes sense. Although considering it's ability to transpose, tune and
use other scale types, as well as note bending (like you said), one would
think they could have used this to facilitate portamento. In this mode they
could have tracked the last triggered key and use any one of it's ability to
alter the pitch including note bend as you mentioned, automatically and
smoothly. BUT they didn't do that so I should't be thinking about

Anyway if you would send me the DX7 patches that would be great!

Thanks Frank!

Randy