[korgypark] Re: Kickin' Around An Idea

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vepeta00@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:25:12 +0200

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Robert" <GnomeDePlume@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 8:32 AM
Subject: [korgypark] Kickin' Around An Idea

>=20
> All,
>=20
> I don't know if this applies to most of you Korgies out there, but for
> myself I find Korg's 05R/W Manual a bit terse and hard-to-follow =
(forced
> politeness here).=20

Fully agree with you. And they don't even suply the manual in electronic =
format, as they do for newer Korg products (Electribes).=20

> Worse, programming the '05 from the front panel is tedious
> (in the extreme) and is about as fun as watching paint dry. =20
>My day gig is
> writing software, and as you know software geeks are lazy (especially =
UNIX
> weenies), so I've been kicking around an idea for a Windows app (Linux =
will
> have to wait. Sorry.) that allows easy configuration and
> experimentation--without having to consult that godawful, horrorshow =
manual.
>=20
A good idea. I'll be more than happy to help you with new ideas.=20

> Before I roll up my sleeves and reinvent the wheel, does anyone out =
there in
> Korgyland know of such an app (either cheap or free) that sort of does
> something sort of like this? If not, would anyone care to contribute =
ideas
> for features (like, "I really wish your app would do blah, blah, =
blah...")

Yep. If you are going to make a graphical editor with graphical =
controls, could you please make it possible to map MIDI controllers (or =
other MIDI messages) to the graphical controls of the editor (sort of =
like the MIDI learn function in Generator). In other words, you could =
assign every graphical control a MIDI equivalent and save your MIDI =
translation map as a preset. It would be really handy if I could operate =
the software controls with MIDI. I have the JP-8080 and it would be a =
great tool for tweaking my X5 in realtime. As far as I know, there's =
currently know graphical editor which allows you to  map MIDI messages =
to the UI sliders and knobs. XG-edit, 05/x5 sound editor and Sound Diver =
are all unable to do that.=20

I think it would also be cool to have a dedicated, simplified set of =
controls for making analog synth type sounds. Something similar to the =
Osc 5 editor for Roland JV/XP synths.=20

I have a wish concerning the user interface of the editor. I think you =
should really use the standard colors and controls of Windows (like =
Seq303 does). No fancy custom controls or dazzling color schemes please. =
While the Windows's controls may look boring, everybody knows how to =
operate them and they work well with accessibility products. I am =
visually impaired and using Microsoft's Magnifier. The custom controls =
and interface are the reason why I think Sound Diver sucks, though the =
concept is very good.=20

> while the page is still blank?  Would anyone like to be a beta tester =
for
> this app when the time comes?

Sure, I'll be one. =20

> Lemme know what you think.