[klaatumail] Re: McManus vs. Dee Long rarities

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 07:18:51 -0400

> I'd like to weigh in on this topic. The McManus stuff is PRE-Klaatu.

Yes, it is.

> Therefore, although it may shed some light on what was to come, it is
what it
> is: a stepping stone.   However, for Klaatu fans, it is the
development of
> John W. that is of interest.

Which is why I couldn't understand that the fans who were upset when
Terry and Dee released recordings because John hadn't also weren't
buying this.

> Take Dee's CD "Outside" for a different  example.  Although we
> all know when it was recorded, it has that quality of  timelessness
> which makes it hard to categorize.  Many of those songs could
> have easily been on a Klaatu record and transcend the "date of
> manufacture"  mindset.

Just to be sure we're on the same page, "Outside" was an all new
recording of all new material written specifically for it's release.
It's not at all from the Klaatu-era.

> If there are Dee Long rarities from the Klaatu era or any other
> time period, I WANT them!

Dee's two CD set, "Been Here Before", as well as the CD-EP "Digital" are
all post Klaatu Dee Long rarities.

> Now while we're at it, let's get the Whitemail and Mudcow stuff out
> there as well.

The Mudcow stuff, perhaps.  The Whitemail single is controlled by a man
who is feigning offense at John's public statement that he took their
money and ran and they never saw a single. Since I've been able to
locate and purchase a copy of the single, we know it existed, whether we
know the quantity that were pressed or not, but the fact remains that
the members of Whitemail never saw a copy of the single and didn't know
if it had ever actually been pressed.  At the time the work was being
completed, the guy in charge relocated to the west coast and the band
never heard from him again.   I can certainly see where John would feel
the guy had taken their money and run.

Now, though, when approached by Bullseye about releasing it, the guy has
stated that until John apologizes for the remark, that won't happen.
Meanwhile, John sticks by his story that they never saw a copy of the
single and never had any proof that it was released at the time and that
the guy had accepted their money and then disappeared to the west coast.
He's not about to apologize for stating the obvious truth as he knows
and understands it.

It sounds more to me like the disc was only pressed in limited quantity,
fewer than the band paid for, and that the guy really DID abscond with
the rest of their money, but whether he did or didn't, releasing it on
CD now would bring the guy MORE money, but he can't get past being
accused of stealing by John.

Some people are just so caught up in themselves they can't see the
bigger picture.

> what's Terry been up to lately?

Terry is no longer with Bullseye.  He's allegedly working on new
material for boutique release directly to the fans.

Dave Bradley