[klaatumail] Re: Macca concert special on Thanksgiving

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:55:54 -0500

> I popped into iTunes to see what the track
> listing was on this new one...anyways, the
> reviews section is mixed.  The interesting
> thing are the many comments regarding the
> use of auto-tune on his vocals.

Interesting that he's finally resorting to using that even on releases
of live material.

While recently re-reading many Douglas Adams books (re-read all 5
Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy books, Starship Titanic, Salmon of
Doubt, and the first Dirk Gently book (Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective
Agency), I came across something interesting.

In the first Dirk Gently book he talks about a central character's work
as a programmer. One of the things that the guy has created is a program
to take your spreadsheets and turn them into music so you can hear what
your numbers sound like. That eventually came to pass as there really is
software out there now for doing exactly that.

Anyhow, in that discussion, he also had the guy running some rather
random data through on the wing movements in flying migratory birds and
came up with something horrendous sounding, so he applied an algorithm
to force it to tweak the numbers so that they'd all at least produce
notes in the same key. The guy quickly comments that he feels that's
cheating and will be removing it from the final release version of the
software.

But technically, what he's describing is Autotune. And I think the book
came out before Autotune existed.

Dave Bradley