[klaatumail] Re: 3:47 EST's return on vinyl

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:19:50 -0400

At Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:34:25 Glen wrote:

> Though I LOVE "MoFi" (even recently bought a new copy of their current LP
> remaster of The Cars' debut), I'm realizing I may never have >noticed a
> mastering engineer name on any of the releases I've bought (and I bought
> quite a few!).

That's what you get for not paying attention :-)

>If it doesn't work out with that mastering engineer,

Oh, believe me...it'll work out. This guy even has his own FAN base!!

>I made sure in my survey response to suggest Joao Carvalho, who did EXCELLENT
>work on the analog-sounding LP remaster of Gentle >Giant's "Acquiring the
>Taste" for Whitby, Ontario-based Classic Reissues. If 3:47 EST sounds as
>analog as THAT, I'll be waxing ecstatic.

Duly note. I've met Joao a few times...he works out of Triumph's Metalworks
studio usually.

 >And now that I see word of a 176-kHz master (hopefully either 24 or 32-bit
 >"floating point", although 176-bit instead of 176-kHz outside of the DSD
 >realm might blow my mind upon first listen), I'm quite confident this LP will
 >sound VERY analog.

Sorry that was a brain fart on my part (I've been suffering with a headcold all
week). It's 176kHz at 32-bit. The new analog transfer (from a rebaked non-EQ'd
safety master) was done by Peter Moore at the E-Room two weeks ago. He's the
same gentleman who mastered Bullseye's "Peaks" and many other Bullseye
releases. And we would have used him to master the album as well except I
worked for 3 years to bring the actual mastering guy in L.A. on board. Klaatu
agreed to trust this decision and follow through.

Terry and I will be putting together a press release in coming weeks once the
album has been processed, approved and is off to the manufacturers.

Jaimie