[kinovea-dev] Re: Direct2D

  • From: joan@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <kinovea-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:42:44 +0100

I wrote a page on the wiki to try to describe two possible
architectures.

http://www.kinovea.org/wiki/doku.php/coderenderingpipeline

Feel free
to modify it, add comments, opinion, pros/cons, etc.

joan.

On Thu,
13 Jan 2011 22:18:55 +0100, Joan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried the
Direct2D / SlimDX code you sent.

> I wasn't too sure as to how
exactly use the control, here is what I did:
> - Added a Direct2DControl
member to PlayerScreenUserInterface.
> - In the
PlayerScreenUserInterface constructor I call
Direct2DControl.SetControl() passing in the center panel (to test on the
back panel for now)
> - immediately call Direct2DControl.Run() to
trigger initializations.
> - At each new frame, (in
PlayerScreenUserInterface.ShowNextFrame), I call
Direct2DControl.DrawVideoBitmap() passing in the decoded image,
> - and
Direct2DControl.Update() to actually draw on the panel.

> Let me know
if I did anything wrong. Did you also modify PlayerScreenUserInterface
in this way for your tests ?

> It seems to work pretty well.
> I've
tried to instrument and get some figures regarding speed, but it proved
harder than I thought to really pinpoint the rendering time.
> (Also
I've recently changed machine and it's like everything is running super
fast :-))

> The part taking the most time (about 10 to 20ms each
frame on my machine) would seem to be DrawVideoBitmap().
> This
function involves copying the whole GDI+ bitmap into a Direct2D bitmap
for later use. This is a step we can probably avoid completely by
decoding directly into a Direct2D bitmap from the FFMpeg code.

This is maybe what you suggested in the forum thread... In the case of
pre-extraction to memory, we can also probably keep an in-memory array
of Direct2D bitmaps instead of an array of GDI+ bitmaps. I'm sure we'll
find a way to avoid this extra copy.

> About your concern to release
resources, I don't think we need to use a separate form for rendering
and react to the OnClose() event of it.
> Screens must implement a
BeforeClose() method (see AbstractScreen) which is triggered when the
screen is closed (close button, changing screens configuration, etc.)

We should be able to use it to ask the PlayerScreen and the renderer to
dispose any outstanding resources.

> We'll probably need to transform
and simplify the DirectXInterface class.
> Also, I don't know if we need
the other classes, (Direct3D10Context, etc.) ? If not, we might even
merge the two for simplicity.

> I haven't looked at the direct2D
drawing primitives and how we might implement the drawing tools visuals.

> The architecture discussion will probably depend on how these can be
abstracted between Direct2D and GDI+.

> I will create a topic on the
wiki to push some schematics of possible architectures so we are clearer
about what we discuss.
> Let me know of your experiments.
>
> Thanks,

joan.

> Le 10/01/2011 21:34, Joan a écrit :
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am
super sorry for the delay.
>> Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to
look into this, but I will.
>> (I have some issues at work with the
company wanting to close the local office, this has somewhat prevented
proper focus on the project, but it's going to resolve one way or the
other in the next few weeks.)

05/01/2011 17:34, Hugh a écrit :

>>> Hey Jean,
>>>
>>> Was just
wondering how the Direct2D code was working for you? Did you have any
luck moving the drawing onto a new form? Just didn't see any recent
changes in the code and was hoping it is working!

>>> Thanks,

>>> Hugh