[karc] Re: legislation and radio

  • From: "Peter A. Stokes" <ve3zxt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 07:57:07 -0400

Phil,

The speech-to-command translator is a good idea.

A tiny, wireless, steering wheel-mounted push to talk remote would be good. I can see safety concerns however around having the general public trusted to mount after market products on a steering wheel.

I agree entirely about being caught up in the cell phone aspect of this new legislation. A PTT mic laying on my lap that is used when it is safe to do so is quite a different thing than someone trying to dial out or text via tiny buttons on a cellphone.

The CB community is a large market from which we may see some solutions emerge (though given what I hear on those frequencies, I don't think many of those users will care much about this legislation).

73 all,
Peter
VE3ZXT

Phil Somers wrote:
> What's an alternative to VOX that meets the hands-free requirement?

Peter, I assume something similar to the speech-to-text programs like Dragon Naturally Speaking. The radio will wait for you to say something like: Command-Transmit, and Over.

I think all this sort of thing will be far more distracting than PTT on a mic. The biggest problem i s keeping your mind on your driving. It has very little to do with PTT. However, I can understand the concern with dialing, texting, etc. on a tiny keyboard on a tiny cellphone. I think the micriphone PTT community has gotten tangled up as the result of a different problem.

Perhaps RAC should investigate how many car accidents in Canada were ever attributed to a licenced amateur talking on his radio.

... Phil VE3HST

*Yahoo! Canada Toolbar :* Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now! <http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com/>