[karc] Re: Viewpoint - February 2008 Supporting Your Family, Friends, and Neighbors

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:19:40 -0700 (PDT)

Peter et al,

I do use msconfig to control what services get loaded on re-boot. But you have
to be quite careful. Microsoft should have a much friendlier way of controlling
that. Maybe it is in Vista???

I noticed after downloading Windows Defender and agreeing to the Microsoft
"recommendations" that a lot of new "services" are now running. One is
hasplms.exe which appears to be from the apparently-reputable Aladdin company.
It is a licence verification service, and Microsoft did an XP verification
prior to install. Maybe they use it. I hate to see all these new services. I
need now to investigate them one by one. A never-ending struggle.

... Phil

http://www.flickr.com/gift/