[karc] Re: Technical help needed

  • From: "Peter A. Stokes" <ve3zxt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:55:46 -0400

Hi Steve,

Rob has it right. A mixer would be the better option. If you connect it up as you described, you are essentially pumping the signal from the computer into the radio, and from the radio into the computer. This is in addition to the headphones getting a portion of the signal. It might work, and it likely won't cause any damage, but it isn't advisable. The computer and the radio are designed to drive the impedance of a set of headphones, and not the output of some other device. Exactly which mixer etc. I don't know.

Now here is an option that might work, and you may need help testing it. I would consider hooking up the radio's output to your computer axillary input. And connect your headphones to the computer's output, as usual. If all works out, you'll be mixing the radio signal with the computer's audio and hearing it in the headphones. Both should be controllable from within the computer's audio volume panel.

73,
Peter
VE3ZXT.

Steve Cutway wrote:
Hi all:

I'm looking for something that probably doesn't exist commercially but could be made. (Solder and I have trouble seeing eye-to-eye. :-)

I want to get back into HF net controlling, something I did a lot 35 years ago but haven't done much of the past several years. I'd like to be able to use a set of headphones and be able to listen to my Kenwood TS-570 and my computer simultaneously as I would do the logging on my computer. (For those who may not be aware, I am a white caner.)

In order to do this, I need a stereo Y-cable, approximately 6' long with a quarter-inch phone plug on one end to plug into the headphone jack on the 570, and two eighth-inch mini connectors, one male and one female, both stereo, on the other end. The headphones will plug into the female jack (my headphones have an eighth-inch mini plug on them) and the male plug will plug into the sound card on my computer (which has a mini jack). With this arrangement, I should be able to hear the output of the radio and the computer at the same time.

I'm not concerned about level imbalance because I can adjust the levels independently on the radio and the computer.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have concerning the availability of such a cable.

Cheers & 73s,

Steve VE3KC