[karc] Re: Breakfast at Smitty's

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: KARCFreeList <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:06:16 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to those who responded, both on the FreeList and directly to me. Thanks
especially to VE3GO for his long, comprehensive and thoughtful response, as
well as two other very long and comprehensive direct emails.
In total there were only six responses. This is so typical of much of the
Kingston ham radio community. The large silent majority.

The low attendance at breakfast seems to have little to do with breakfast
itself. Rather, it seems to be a problem with the whole ham community in
Kingston. It is lack of interest in amateur radio by many. It is division. It
is the community splintered into three very separate groups. I think it is time
that the "management" of the three groups get together to explore common
issues. Maybe have a combined meeting? I don't know the answer. Maybe someone
does.

Some people say the main issue is competition from the Internet. That is
probably a small part of it. But other clubs, and even RAC, are doing much
better than the Kingston community, and are very active, and even growing. With
the universities, the CF base (especially with the communications flavour), the
retired population (time for ham radio), and other advantages, you would think
the Kingston amateur radio community would be flourishing (and part of it is).
But much of it is not.

So, breakfast at Smitty's? There were no suggestions that appear to offer any
appealing alternative. So I expect it will continue at Smitty's. It does have a
number of advantages, and despite some reports, I don't think there is any
problem with the quality of the food or service. I value the convenience of the
private room, the bottomless carafes of coffee, the excellent service, and the
uninterrupted two hours of chatting. And the last few months, there has been
considerable chat on ham radio topics, especially about digital modes and
electronics. The only real issue is the decreasing attendance, which appears to
show lack of interest. If people want to help revive attendance, suggestions
are welcome. Come on out to breakfast and lets talk about it. Lets make it a
more interesting place for ham radio.

... Phil VE3HST