[karc] Breakfast at Smitty's

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: KARCFreeList <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 08:05:22 -0800 (PST)

Today there were only six at breakfast. Last week: 8. The week before: 7.
Breakfast may be on its last legs. So I would like to ask why people are not
attending any more and what might induce them to attend.

This breakfast has no direct connection with KARC but KARC has benefited from
the breakfast being there. Not as a criticism but as an observation: none of
the executive of KARC attend the breakfasts any more.

I know one issue seems to be price. I looked at the Cavelier Room next door to
Smitty's and at the Truck Stop where we used to meet. The prices there are
about the same of higher. I know there are places that are cheaper but I don't
know any that offer some or all of what we currently get at Smitty's, namely a
private, quiet area, bottomless coffee in carafes, excellent friendly service,
prompt bills, lots of space, two hours to drink coffee and chat undisturbed,
and it is a very known situation. If someone knows of a potentially better
location, please let me know.

So do you not attend because of price?

Is 7:00 - 9:00 too early. If so, what time would you prefer.

Is Saturday the wrong day?

Is the location not convenient?

Is the menu not what you prefer?

Is the discussion not enough about ham radio and electronics?

Do we need things like the Junk Box that was guessed for every Saturday, or
something like that?

Do we need more show and tell? New gadgets? Neat electronics?  Etc.?

Any other reasons for the low attendance.

In other words: Why don't you attend?

What changes or differences would make it more likely that you would attend.

Please provide some answers even if you have no intention of attending. If
there isn't some better attendance, I am afraid Saturday ham radio breakfast in
Kingston may disappear, after being there continuously, every Saturday, for
about 22 years. I think it has been a good pillar of support to KARC and the
local ham community, and it would not be good if the breakfast were not there.

I would encourage lots of answers on the FreeList, or directly to me.

Thanks.

... Phil VE3HST