[kanchilug] Re: help

  • From: Robin Ladwal <robin_ladwal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kanchilug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:44:24 +0530

Dear Praveen

1. Please check that whether owner of /var/www has changed or not using
"ls -l /var |grep www"

2. If the owner is still root then use "sudo chown -R
www-data:www-data /var/www" and enter your account password to
authenticate or simply run command being logged in as root

3. Now if you wanna create a folder or file then you must add www-data
to your group using "sudo addgroup <username> www-data" and change group
permission to write using "sudo chmod g+rw /var/www"

I think now you can create a folder or file with ease. (Note, there are
multiple way to do this like you can chmod to 777 simply without going
all above procedure but I wont prefer to give global write
permissions.)-

Regards
Robin Ladwal