[KACT] Getting students to participate

  • From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KACT <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:39:25 -0500

I'm teaching freshman for the first time ever and it's an "empirical
science" course (pre-chemistry content) that focuses on deriving
understanding from lab experiences and class discussions.  My problem is
they don't discuss!  I ask a question and the room is dead silent!  I have
an incredible wait time and they still don't answer!  I'm so used to my
upper-classmen that jump in all the time and I never have to push.  I know
they'll loosen up eventually, but any tips?
Kelly
kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx