[JA] Re: Yahoo bounces

  • From: cynthiacloppas@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:06:28 -0700

Hello George and all,

Cynthia stated:
<<The only time Yahoo Groups mail was ever suspended to
this account occurred last fall when I neglected to download my messages
for several days and my mailbox went over the 2MB limit.>>

George asked in reply:
<<Can we assume you are currently subscribed to one or more Yahoo groups?
And that you have been subscribed to these groups, at least, since the
first of the year?  And that you have NOT been kicked off those lists
several times recently?>>

I am subscribed to eight Yahoo Groups with this account.  I have been
subscribed to these each of these lists for at least a year.  Two are
announcement-type, (software developers) one is a once-a-month
newsletter, and the others are all typical "user-groups".  Of these three
do not generate a lot of messages, but the other three are *very*
"message-intensive".  I am on Digest mode with the three
message-intensive lists.

I took a look at my Bounce History at Yahoo this morning and noticed that
the (only) hard bounce/reactivation request with this account actually
occurred in February, not last fall.  This was the reason given:

2/5/2003 prox-list msg #1170  2/5/2003 Hard Bounce
Remote host said: 550 x-thisaccount-x@xxxxxxxx Account Inactive  (What
the?)

Yahoo's bounce problems have been discussed many times in the past few
months on several of the homeschooling Groups I am subscribed to with my
current ISP.  I found this message last night from a couple months
back--don't know if this helps, but maybe something useful can be gleaned
from it:

<< >Last week Yahoo "bounced" many Time Warner Cable Road Runner
subscribers. This week it is Earthlink subscribers.

I think it's the other way around! The ISPs are bouncing the yahoo mail.
Please check w/your ISP if you are having problems.  I got this from
another list:

"While yahoogroups is notorious for it's problems and bugs, this time it
may not be their fault...It appears part of the protection that ISPs have
put in place to protect their computers / servers against DoS / DDoS
attacks is a machine-driven "thinking process" that automatically sends
internet traffic into a "black hole" or just simply out-right denies
internet delivery entirely (including email deliveries).

With regard to email deliveries, it appears some ISPs are producing a new
"550 Open Relays" error message which bounces the email back to the
sender as undeliverable. This is why so many people on yahoogroups are
now bouncing their emails.

If you think you may have been caught up in this you should contact your
ISP and make sure they know that you want to receive mail from
@yahoogroups.com ... not that it will help, but if enough people complain
they might see if they can do something about it.  If you can't work this
out with your ISP you may have to get a webmail address for your
yahoogroups because ISPs seem to be summarily placing these emails and
senders into neverland without so much as a verification or double-check
at all.">>

::Cyn::
SoCal