[juneau-lug] Re: perl-DB_file and fedora core 1

  • From: Justin Burket <zorton@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:13:59 -0900

I think a distinction that should be made here is the difference
between perl libs and system level libs.  Two different beasts.
Oftentimes distributions will package the more common set of perl
libraries (or perl mod's if you will) but you can always install via
CPAN, which IMHO is the better method as CPAN oftentimes will install
the most up to date modules out there. On Debian systems they live in a
number of spots but stock installed modules will be in
/usr/share/perl/$perlversion.  On this system my libs are scattered
between /System/Library/Perl/$perlversion/ and
/Library/Perl/$perlversion and /sw/lib/perl/$perlversion.  The nice
thing about CPAN is I suspect it has some detection routines built in
to figure out how your system is setup.  The upshot of which is that it
runs the same not matter which system you run it on.  System level libs
are maintained by the linker and are used on binaries like /bin/bash
and the like and live in the usuall spots like /usr/lib /lib
/usr/X11R6/lib and the like.  However since I suspect that SpamAssasin
was written in perl it will likely have a few perl modules it needs to
run.

Justin