[juneau-lug] Re: Ties with UAS-Gaming

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:00:34 -0800

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:40:35 -0800
"Andrew Pendleton" <celloandy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, only the officers must be UAS students, meaning
> that active members in the current LUG could attend meetings, etc.  Would
> the LUG remain an autonomous, separate entity, or would the LUG just become
> a UAS-sponsored organization, with student leadership?  I suppose, since I
> have been unable to make the Monday meetings, it's unlikely to affect me
> anyway, but just out of curiosity...
> Andrew

Good point Andrew.  This question has come up before when a UAS club was
discussed in meetings back in 2001.  If the LUG migrates over to a UAS club,
then yes we need to come up with actual officers that are actual UAS students,
follow the U of A guidelines for clubs, etc.  Anyone can be a member, but the
students run the show.  Benefits are a little bit of seed money and access to U
of A facilities.

If the LUG gains a split personality, then we get a UAS club and a non-UAS club
that work together & share interests and ideas, but that have slightly
different focuses.  I haven't talked to Ivan about this in detail, but I
believe that is what the Mac users group did.  The advantages of this approach
is that the boring sysadmin types get to talk about how to set up a mail
server, while the UAS club does subjects like Half-Life server.  People get to
go to either or both meetings.

I think the split personality option is the best way to cover the rather wide
range of applications *nix has, although we'd have to be careful to make sure
that the "old LUG" didn't abuse the UAS LUG's status or view them as simply a
mechanism to get at UAS assets.  The UAS club needs to be an independent
organization run by and for the students.  The risk for the "old LUG" is that
it dissapears or becomes irrelevant.  My wife would like that.