[juneau-lug] Re: Boot-Camp (was: Ties with UAS-Gaming)

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:24:38 -0800

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:05:14 -0800
"Clay Robidoux" <loki@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ideas for meetings:   Getting Samba to actually work as a cross platform file
> server so we can map to it from windows machines

          There's a 3.0 presentation pencilled in for November, but that is
going to talk about active directory integration, etc.  Setting up Samba for an
NT domain and/or workgroup for simple file sharing and printing is different
and we can do that at the October meeting, or a UAS LUG meeting if it gets off
the ground.

>                       James's old presentations are always worthwile to go
> over again.
> Iptables, postfix, dhcp et all

         Thanks for pumping my ego.

>                       OS X tweaks
         Best for the Mac users group?  When people say OS X tweaks, I find
that a lot of the time they're talking about Aqua, not Darwin.

>                       Installing and running Apache

         I've got a handout on this as well.

>                       Linux Wireless

         `man iwconfig` - iwconfig is cool, and required to set up shared keys,
etc.

>                       Remote access securely (I.e. ssh or vpn access from
> campus to a linux box
> at someone's house)

          Several members do this from work now, I think with ssh.  Anyone
using a different vpn solution?  I do very basic ssh stuff, essentially just
secure telnet.  Other people (Justin) know a lot more about ssh and it's uses.

>                       Distributed computing (? Could be cool if anyone knows
> how to do this)

          Hmm, dunno.  That's mostly a programming/database issue to me.  How
to split up your work and then re-integrate it.  The network stuff should be a
lot less complex.

>                       Clustering

           Show up in October for Justin's OpenMosix demo.

>                       Desktop tweaks (such as those found
> http://www.tasavur.com/linux/index.html)

          That's a UAS club thing.  You already found a good link (the guy does
like RH though, doesn't he? There are other reasons to use *BSD than Linux
Compatibility Mode.)