[juneau-lug] Mandrake 8.1

  • From: "JBarber" <barber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JLUG" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:04:24 -0800

Spent yesterday installing Mandrake 8.1, today tweaking.  It's a pretty good
upgrade.  Lot's of bells and whistles.  KDE 2.2.1 still has no common
Windows filters for saving or opening files. It does recognize my primary
hdd(Windows 2000)and I am allowed to access common files in My Documents
like .jpg, .gif, .pdf, and .txt.  It required no tweaking. Gnome is standard
1.4, Nautilus etc..Evolution seems stable and is a lot prettier than
Outlook.  The new Galleon upgrade is awesome, it gets my vote for best
browser. It required no plugin installation.  I don't include Realplayer
because I don't like or install it. Sure would like to see Quicktime
support. Any takers?
-Jim

James, just kidding about the Abiword 1.1.  I did it in MS Word.  Quicker
that way, I didn't have to reboot.  I did feel guilty, especially having
just got back from the meeting and all...