[juneau-lug] Re: Editors

  • From: Matt Heavner <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:07:27 -0900

I think you have to know some vi.  But if you have to edit alot, you
should learn emacs.  I use emacs for "real editing."  My uses include
LaTeX (manuscripts, presentations, and posters; physics homework--I'm
sure there is a vi way for adding macros (maybe you use m4 in combo
with vi?), but I like having the entire greek alphabet at two key
strokes away) perl and python code (the modes within emacs are great);
matlab and idl modes; wiki mode, etc.. etc..  And in my experience,
the emacs calc-mode is amazingly, insanely great--it is hands down the
best calculator I've ever used.  RPN, symbolic manipulation, yanking
and pasting from LaTeX buffers, column and matrix math, and that is
really just the beginning.

I use vi almost daily as well, for a quick config file edit or
something similar.

So I'd say some time on vi, and more time on emacs...

Matt