[juneau-lug] Re: Editors

  • From: "Jason D. Bourgoin" <katmandu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:19:51 -0900

Eric M. Niewoehner wrote:

>I am about to teach a section on editors and I was curious as to which
>text editor you all preferred.

I tend to use vi most of the time, just because either vi or a
superset/enhancement of vi tends to be "standard" on most *nixes, as
mentioned by other posters.

On occassion, I've logged into systems remotely to find vi and other
full(er)-screen text editors excruciatingly painful to use....
especially over slower links and/or across high-latency satellite hops.

In those cases, it's time to whip out ex and bang it out from the :
prompt.  The : prompt command set in ex mostly-matches the : prompt
command set in vi, so there's very little learning curve going "backwards."

Plus, there are things you can do with ex, sed, and awk that sure make
for some powerful shell scripting.  Running shell scripts from either
inittab or crontab tables gives the sysadmin more granular control over
their regularly-scheduled system tasks than is typically provided by
using whatever GUI scheduling mechanism came bundled with their *nix distro.

Hope this helps,
Jason