[jos64] Re: New HowTo: Stream Digital Audio

  • From: Greg/DAC <billnacu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jos64 List <jos64@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:33:51 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Mihai\JOS wrote:

> Amazing.
>
> So I can send a big wav from a shell account using netcat and the receiver
> can do: cat /tcpl/port > /dev/mixer.
>
> Will it start playing instantly? Is there enough speed in the transfer?

   To Colin and Mihai,

     I actually Tried doing Direct Streaming off the Web, and it's just
Not Quite fast enough.  But the concept is Right!  I think if you have a
Linux Box with a Cable modem and your commodore is null modemed there
should be plenty of bandwidth.  I only have a 33.6k modem, and it only
transfers 3 or 4 kB per second.  So I don't think it would work with a
file any higher quality than 4khz, 8bit.

   The article is really more about Doing this off of a Drive.  Maybe it
is my extra push for why people should think about investing in an IDE64.
It truly is amazing.  But you SHOULD be able to do the same thing with the
CMD HD, (just when you create the .wav file, create it with a slightly
lower quality. ) When the ramlink drivers are working properly, you should
be able to do it from that no problem!, and when Maurice pumps up the CMD
HD speeds, that should do it too.  But in any case, it's Definitly in
Commodore's Near future, if not NOW for those with an IDE64.

> Keep diggind man Jos has still a lot of surprises left

  I'm pretty amazed at how easy it is to ... "discover" new uses for A
Commodore running JOS.  It's just so, exploitable, and so Open to trying
new things.

  I'm having a tiny bit of trouble getting more of the programs like Dict
to work... but I am working on it.  Has anyone tried Dict? I got a report
that there was a problem, so I re-uploaded the file just incase it was
bad. I still think that is totally cooL!

                  Later all!    Greg\DAC

-
Jos Homepage - http://www.jolz64.cjb.net/
with unsubscribe in the Subject field