[jjr69] Vietnam's Women Of War

  • From: Dat Duthinh <dduthinh@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:22:13 -0500

So here is our chance to combine the various threads on this list.  To all
the So Vo or Ne Vo, you are only following a proud matriarchal tradition,
althouhg history does not say much about Mr. Trung Trac or Trung Nhi or
Trieu Au, known by their wife's name.

Chi Van, I hope you are right.  I think traditional VN treats women better
than traditional China.  I remember vaguely about the Tay Son legal code
being downright enlightened compared to Gia Long's who went back to the
Chinese model.  A bit foggy on this now.

I think in VN people still think that a house is a man's castle, and short
of murder, he can brutalize his family with relative impunity.  I am not
saying many do, but outside intervention is rare.  Are you aware of  any
study of the problem?

I can't leave the forum for the week-end on such a serious note.  So here
is to LVHung  re your energy conservation scheme:  Forget the sweater at
night.  Keep the thermostat low, and use body heat.  It is a patriotic duty
to reduce oil consumption, right?
At 05:51 PM 1/24/03, you wrote:
>Hi Annette and anh Dat,
>
>Annette, you are 100% correct about the bad lot of the women in VN.  However,
>please know that everywhere in the world, and even here in the U.S., women do
>not really fare that much better.  I have encountered very sad cases in my
>pro bono work for battered women, and domestic violence is still THE big
>killer of women.  Women still have a long way to go to enjoy the same rate of
>pay, the same treatment from employers, and the same fundamental rights as
>men, despite the apparent and superficial conclusions that we have done a lot
>better than before.
>
>I don't personally think our Vietnamese culture breeds wife battering.  In
>fact, I tend to think that, compared to some other men, Vietnamese men tend
>to be more gentle with their women (there are exceptions, of course).  One of
>the reasons may be because they tend to be less possessive and more detached
>toward their women.  This is my personal observation based on my life
>experience, and what I have seen working as a legal aid lawyer among
>different ethnic groups.
>
>In addition, did not our culture start out as a matriarchal system?  I am
>probably wrong on this, but I vaguely remember that from my Vietnamese
>Civilization Class at Dai Hoc Van Khoa some 30 years ago.
>
>Van

This information is confidential and pre-decisional.

Dat Duthinh