[jjr69] Re: Martin Luther King's Opposition to the War on Iraq

  • From: <viet.be@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 7:14:31 -0800

Freedom is not so exaggerated a concept once you've experienced emprisonment
(or tu` ca?i ta.o), or unsuccessfully attempted to leave your native land by
"boat".   It's as real as anything...when you've lost it.

The problem is to wage war under the pretense of defending freedom...for others.

> From: Dat Duthinh <dduthinh@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2003/01/16 Thu AM 06:34:04 PST
> To: jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [jjr69] Martin Luther King's Opposition to the War on Iraq
>

> So the Americans would defend freedom and the Iraquis would fight against
> invasion,  both very valid reasons.  Both sides are right, and  people
> die.  The defense of freedom sounds so lofty it reminds me of the Mission
> Civilisatrice and the White Man's Burden.
>
> I see only one reason for foreign military intervention:  the prevention of
> genocide.  Rwanda, Bosnia , Kosovo, Cambodia.  Now, countries also use that
> excuse when their real reason is more imperialistic, as for VN in Cambodia,
> even though the side effect was very good.
>
> At 08:40 PM 1/15/03, you wrote:
>

> >Van, Dung, Khai,
> >
> >As much as I oppose violent means to resolve conflicts, and in the Iraq
> >case, a contemplated PREEMPTIVE strike under the guise of protecting the
> >world, I must say that SOMETIMES war is inevitable, even
> >necessary.   I  would not advocate avoiding war at any cost.  For example,
> >fighting a war to defend one's country against invasion is, to use Marting
> >Luther King's own words, honorable and just.   That is how I see the
> >self-defensive fight that we (the Vietnamese who chose to live in the
> >South, and the Americans who helped them) lost.
> >
> >I resent the fact that those who opposed the VN war see it and continues
> >to see it as an event that dishonored America.   I don't see it that
> >way.  On the contrary, it was a part of US and Vietnamese history that
> >should be honored.   The only regrettable part was the outcome.
> >
> >Please forgive me if I offend any one.   It is my only (!) bias in
> >politics.
> >
> >Mr. Nash's , and MLK's, lamenting that the poor and the Blacks died in
> >disproportionate numbers is a justified concern.  But how does a nation
> >equally distribute the burden of death, when it comes time to fight to
> >ensure that something worthwhile (like the freedome of a friendly people:
> >the Vietnamese) be preserved?   Or should a country live in complete
> >isolation, close its eyes, plug its ears, and not come to the aid of a
> >friendly nation?   How does one do that?   I don't have answers here.
> >
> >Nothing less than freedom and self-defense justifies the loss of lives,
> >especially the lives of young men and women.   I'm forever grateful that a
> >large number of Americans and Vietnamese died for me (us) to live the
> >precious few years of relative freedom.   I remain saddened by those losses.
> >
> >I lost my father in the war.   If I were asked whether I would give up my
> >father to a "just and honorable" war, I will say no.   The problem is, I
> >wasn't asked.   And I believe that he died in honor.   I also believe that
> >he joined the Army knowing of the ultimate consequences.  And he accepted
> >them willingly.
> >
> >Preserving freedom, coming to the aid of a friend, or self-defense, is NOT
> [...]

Viet Be