[jjr69] Re: Martin Luther King's Opposition to the War on Iraq

  • From: <viet.be@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <salonmixte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:40:39 -0800

Van, Dung, Khai,

As much as I oppose violent means to resolve conflicts, and in the Iraq case, a
contemplated PREEMPTIVE strike under the guise of protecting the world, I must
say that SOMETIMES war is inevitable, even necessary.   I  would not advocate
avoiding war at any cost.  For example, fighting a war to defend one's country
against invasion is, to use Marting Luther King's own words, honorable and
just.   That is how I see the self-defensive fight that we (the Vietnamese who
chose to live in the South, and the Americans who helped them) lost.

I resent the fact that those who opposed the VN war see it and continues to see
it as an event that dishonored America.   I don't see it that way.  On the
contrary, it was a part of US and Vietnamese history that should be honored.
The only regrettable part was the outcome.

Please forgive me if I offend any one.   It is my only (!) bias in politics.

Mr. Nash's , and MLK's, lamenting that the poor and the Blacks died in
disproportionate numbers is a justified concern.  But how does a nation equally
distribute the burden of death, when it comes time to fight to ensure that
something worthwhile (like the freedome of a friendly people: the Vietnamese)
be preserved?   Or should a country live in complete isolation, close its eyes,
plug its ears, and not come to the aid of a friendly nation?   How does one do
that?   I don't have answers here.

Nothing less than freedom and self-defense justifies the loss of lives,
especially the lives of young men and women.   I'm forever grateful that a
large number of Americans and Vietnamese died for me (us) to live the precious
few years of relative freedom.   I remain saddened by those losses.

I lost my father in the war.   If I were asked whether I would give up my
father to a "just and honorable" war, I will say no.   The problem is, I wasn't
asked.   And I believe that he died in honor.   I also believe that he joined
the Army knowing of the ultimate consequences.  And he accepted them willingly.

Preserving freedom, coming to the aid of a friend, or self-defense, is NOT the
case in Iraq.  But it does not mean that all war is evil.

> From: Vanthdo@xxxxxxx
> Date: 2003/01/15 Wed PM 04:07:32 PST
> To: jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [jjr69] Re: Martin Luther King's Opposition to the War on Iraq
>
> Dear anh Dung (Luu),
>
> I think Mr. Nash was equating the 2 wars with respect to the effect they
> might have on this American society, i.e., the poor Blacks and Hispanics who
> usually are sent to war to die.  His argument is more based on a social
> context than a political or ideological one.
>
> I think the argument has some merit, even when we think back to our Vietnam
> war, where most of the kids from well to do family usually found a way out of
> the draft and thus out of harm's way.  I say this without any judgment or
> criticism toward the rich kids.  It is just the way things work, as unfair as
> some of us may perceive it.  I say it though with sadness and with a
> conviction to oppose this war, or any war for that matter.  I see no purpose
> in killing people just to assert an authority, a power, or to further any
> ends.  Simplistic as some thought my beliefs are, I can hardly see how we can
> otherwise justify losses of lives, properties, country, peace and happiness
> to the dictates of a few powerful people who hold our children's fates in
> their hands.
>
> In substituting the word "Iraq" for Vietnam", just as anh Khai has so well
> understood it, you are only asked to look at and compare the impact of the 2
> wars on the 2 countries' social fabric.
>
> Mr. Nash is not a politician, he is an academic professor on the East Coast,
> and has spent his life working on great causes helping the poor immigrants
> and fighting for justice.
>
> Van

Viet Be