[jhb] Re: dvd

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 05:54:42 -0000

It's hard to explain this but I'll try.

Objects on the display can be divided into two groups - waypoints and
outlines. Waypoints are point source objects like fixes, navaids, VRP's etc
and outlines are line drawings to delineate controlled airspace or danger
areas or whatever.

The trouble is that the SCT file format has not taken the above into account
and so we don't have a lot of options for creating outlines. The only choice
is to place these in the few categories that do exist and so LOW AIRWAY or
HIGH AIRWAY get hijacked for other purposes. This is why, in my own SCT
file, I have moved holding points to Low Airway and VRP's to High Airway so
at least I get the chance to turn them off.

In the SBS software there are no less than 30 individual sections for
waypoints and the same for outlines. I can therefore have coastlines, TMA,
CTA, CTR, ATZ, MATZ, Upper airways, lower airways, Danger areas, FIR, AIAA,
ARA, ATA, Airports and so on as separate items to turn on or off as I wish.
The same goes for waypoints and I have these separated into Major Airfields,
VOR's, NDB's, Fixes, TACAN, Minor Airfields, Masts, Disused airfields,
Heliports, VRP's - and even Hang Gliding, Microlight and Parachute sites.

The SCT file format needs urgent revision to allow similar flexibility.
Until then each designer does what he thinks best for his own airspace and
this may not be ideal for other sectors.