[jhb] Windows Problem

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:00:47 +0000

Very Frustrating!

The background is I can send emails on this machine but only receive on the other, via Webmail.....

Anyway, I can locate a copy of the missing file, on the Windows CD. The bad news is that I can get to that CD only via Taskmanager, so can't have more than one folder open at a time. So I can't copy across from CD to anywhere. Next shot was to run the Windows Setup from the CD. From that I opted to install Windows, on the assumption a Repair option would appear. However it won't install because the existing, but damaged, version is newer than the CD version, which it would be because the existing one has been uprated with SP1 and SP2. So, used TaskManager to locate SP2, on this machine, and re install that, to get it to put in the missing .dll............ which it can't do, because there's a missing Wininet.dll.

There's a hole in my bucket springs to mind!