[jhb] Re: Emergency In Ward Ten

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:31:34 -0000

Typo there - the file should be wininet.dll and should be in your
WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder.

Some web notes:

wininet.dll is an essential Windows system file, however, some viruses
replace this file with their own version so that they are very hard to
detect. I just fixed one of these for a client this morning. You need to
replace the file with a genuine copy. I used a copy from one of the other
machines on the network but if you can't do that you should be able to find
it in the i386 setup folder.
The fake version will create other virus/spyware files and put them in
startup lists. Make sure you get rid of these too or you'll be back to
square one.

and:

This may help?

# Find wininet.dll and rename it to wininet.dl
# Wait a few moments. A new, clean version of wininet.dll should appear
# Reboot the system and disinfect or delete the infected wininet.dl file

http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=84462

Updating Windows to SP2 if you don't have it will restore a good wininet.dll
file.