[jhb] Re: Which charts?

  • From: Fred Stopforth <fredstopforth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 20:24:10 +0000

I got the half mil charts a few years ago and came to the same conclusion so
since the Boss was a bit tight on supplying quarter mil maps I resorted to
using an AA Britain road atlas ultra large scale one and half mile to one inch.
Been brilliant for VFR.  Got it at 'The Works' book shop ?4.  Fred

Subject: [jhb] Re: Which charts?
From: phil.reynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 19:53:19 +0000
To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've managed to get hold of an old half mil chart and don't think it's detailed
enough for my liking. I stumbled across your pages on VFR flight planning
(another apology due for forgetting this too!) and have decided the quarter mil
charts will suit me better.

Cheers

Phil

On December 5, 2014 2:47:46 PM GMT, John Woodside <fossil@xxxxxxx> wrote:
This is tricky to answer in our specific situation.

In real world flying the half mil is almost always used for planning. Spread
out it covers a lot of real estate and then you have your plog, computer,
ruler, chinagraph and girlfriend plonked on top.

It is more feasible to plan with the new quarter mil charts because they now
cover larger and more sensible areas. In the old days when there were 18 of
these things covering the UK it was almost impossible to plan a flight as it
would almost inevitably cover two or more charts. With charts computerised
now you don't have the worry of table space and where to put the rest of the
gubbins (and girlfriend).

John

fossil@xxxxxxx