[jhb] Re: Three Hours Lost

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 22:08:21 -0000

Funnily enough I also had some weird USB happenings in the last 24 hours.

I was working away yesterday when I got the ding-dong note to say a USB
device had disconnected. This sometimes happens with the iPAQ if it isn't on
the cradle properly so I ignored it. A few seconds later a dong-ding
indicated that it had reconnected. About 20 minutes later it happened again
but then became persistent, ding-dong, dong-ding, ding-dong, dong-ding,
ding-dong, dong-ding, ding-dong, dong-ding. Annoying!

I took the iPAQ from the cradle but the noise continued - and here you hit a
problem because XP doesn't identify the USB device other than to say "USB
Device" - not very helpful as I have 21 of the things plugged into the PC.
As I slowly started working round the cables it then went into a cascade
failure and all the Go Flight units fell offline and I started to get "USB
Failure" warnings. A quick check of Device Manager then showed ten unknown
devices.

Rather than fiddle with loads of plugs and hubs I suspected the fault may be
elsewhere so I rebooted XP and everything came back to normal. I still don't
know what the problem was but it could have been one of several things.
First, I'd just installed .NET 3.5 on the system and it didn't install
cleanly - it took two goes to get it working. The failures occurred during
that time (weird but feasible knowing XP). Second was that I was testing
software that was running the CPU at 100% so maybe the power to the USB
sockets dipped and caused the devices to fail through lack or juice.
Alternatively the mobo may have thrown a wobbler and likewise wasn't feeding
the USB ports with enough power.

Although I use 21 devices here few need a significant load - only two
require the maximum 500mA for a socket. The three hubs I have are all
powered so it allows me 500mA per socket rather than for all seven sockets
for the hub - very handy. I know what each device draws as this is shown in
Device Manager somewhere. The toughest one is the SBS unit as this is fed
from a 15m cable running up to the roof through a powered USB extender.

Since the reboot everything is back to normal so I'll never know what caused
the whole lot to fall over..