[jhb] Re: ID please

  • From: Frank Turley <frank.turley1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:16:36 +0100

Hi Frank,

I'm not a plane spotter, but being a local I know that these are C17s from as I recall 99 Squadron at Brize. I have been shown around the insides of one (pre 09/11), they are interesting as they are really designed to do their job efficiently, they have an internal railway system to speed the loading and unloading, I forget how many tanks they can carry, but its pretty impressive.

In the early days they were leased from the USA, I don't know if we ever got around to buying any, but they are kept pretty busy, as you will have noticed.

I don't know what the attraction of Standlake is though?

Frank T.

At 21:50 26/07/2010, you wrote:
On holiday last week, at Standlake. Approx 14 miles west of Oxford, and 10 miles east of Brize Norton. These things kept thundering overhead at around 2000ft, assuming that on APP Brize Norton.
Please ID for me??

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=56679&id=1649856902&l=a1803d396e

Frank