[jhb] Re: Help!!

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:33:15 +0100

Hi Paul,
I'll try again shortly. I've just asked BFG whether I can instal the new drivers, after putting in the card, without removing the existing Nvidia drivers. I also have an Nvidia MX4000 PCI card in there and don't want to disable that as well.

One of the problems in getting to Safe Start Mode is the speed of the E5700. The normal startup script jus flashes across, in a fraction of a second, so it's hard to tell where the sequence has got to.

BTW, having changed my Wireless Mouse batteries, to get around its increasing hesitancy, I found it wasn't much better. Doh! I realised I'd moved its receiver slightly, so I could get into the other PC case, so it was surrounded by metal bits. Out in the open again and it works. I wonder whether moving my head will improve my abillity to deal with this job? Probably too little, too late.

Gerry Winskill

Paul Reynolds wrote:

Gerry,
If you're getting the boot device menu then you are hitting F8 a tad too early. I have to wait until the POST (power on self test) has completed and the boot device selected. In my case it's when the screen first goes blank on boot up. If you get the boot menu, select the default drive then press F8 again once it starts the boot sequence. Another way (though not recommended), is to press the reset button during the boot. This will initiate a soft reboot but should also cause windoze to recognise an incomplete boot happened last time and bring up the menu to allow safe mode start up to correct any potential errors that may have led to the reset (it's not intelligent enough to know you caused it). This method is not recommended because it might lead to data loss during the soft reset. Paul