[jhb] Re: Bloody MS

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 23:57:36 -0000

I was confused by M$ response to you.  What are they saying to us? That once
installed that's it, you cannot adjust your system?  If the system on which
you had it installed is no longer in service then why can't you install it
again?  I cannot see how you would be breaching copyright law since it is
installed and in use on only one machine.  I think this is another example
of their contempt for the average user.  OK so there are plenty of people
who will use pirated copies of XP on a regular basis but when they know you
are using a copy you own on just one machine, again a machine you own,
what's the problem? Especially when you've co-operated and informed them of
your actions.  To tell you that since the machine that previously had the
OEM version installed is no longer in use you cannot now use your copy of XP
is ridiculous.  For me, it's made worse since part of their updates regime
includes the Genuine Advantage tool.  Isn't this supposed to detect
unauthorised use of Microsoft products and effectively disable them with a
warning of their illigitamacy?  If so then they could have transferred the
OEM registration to your new machine so that if, in future, your old machine
showed up online the Genuine Advantage tool would quite rightly kick in and
invalidate the windows installation since you have told them it's no longer
in use on that machine.

What really confused me though is that I have OEM XP Home installed on the
machine that I use for flying and I replaced the Mobo. with one that was
nvidia as opposed to ATI based to make it compatible with the 8800 which had
in turn replaced an ATI X300.  Since then I've had to do a full re-install
and I re-registered XP without a hitch.  Obviously upgrading in stages
doesn't invalidate the licence but doing it in one pop does!

I think you were poorly treated.  I think we'd all rather do without M$ if
it wasn't for the fact that there is usually no option but to suffer at the
hands of the Gates empire if you want to do most of the stuff we do on our
PC's. OK Linux lobbiests, I can hear you muttering away back there and yes,
I agree there are in many cases some excellent alternatives.  I have Open
Office on one machine, XP Office Pro on another and Office Home and Student
Edition 2007 on the laptop and I do most of my work using Open Office!
Partly because it's installed on the machine that's most comfortable to work
on but also simply because I don't like using M$ products unless I really
have to.  I really ought to go the whole hog and run one of the machines as
a full blown full linux based system but I haven't got around to it yet.

Paul