[jhb] Re: Audio solution

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 15:58:04 +0100

Now, there's a thought.

Last week I removed my Yamaha Surround Sound AV Receiver from the TV / Sky setup. My enthusiasm for spectacular sound wasn't shared. I must admit that set to "spectacular", from my baseline of posessing two hearing aids, did tend to produce a trickle of blood from the eardrums of low flying pilots, over the North of the Island.

Instead of it gathering dust, perhaps there's a role for it in my FSX setup. W7's phone / speaker hiatus aside, I've always been delighted with the quality of the Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500, that I've been running for years now. It doesn't have a separate phones output though, whereas the Yamaha does. The Cambridge unit is small, the Yamaha on the top side of "substantial". It also weighs a ton.

I'd need to find space for the Yamaha unit and it would be an addition to the 10 units and n externally powered USB hubs that take all their input from one mains plug...

BTW, drifting off topic, my broadband download speed seldom reaches 3 Gb. Since I'd lost my link to the speed checker I normally use, a couple of days ago I unearthed it again, via a Yahoo search. During the search I spotted a writeup on how to maximise download speeds. At its simplest it was advising the router and PC be switched off for an hour, then the bits brought back on line. I took the easy approach and, for the first time, switched off the power to this room, overnight. Result; a jump from my best previous 3Gb to 5.9Gb. How's that for a low cost solution?

Gerry Winskill

Kev Townsend wrote:
Sorry Frank

I run my computers through an audio mixer into broadcast monitors (LS35A's)
This allows me maximum flexibility across the range of audio programs I use. Output is from differing audio cards depending on the machine, but obviously is interfaced from the jack sockets.

The mixer allows numerous monitoring options (sends, returns) and I couple this with a 4 ch Headphone amp. Each of these channels have the standard stereo controls plus individual aux ins.

I looked at this unit as a USB to jack converter which may "fool" Vista into thinking there was another card, or USB headphone. I could then separate the cockpit to the monitors and strip out ATC via DI to the Headphone array.

Your setup must utilise USB cans to be able to do this.
best wishes

Kev