Re: start menu vs classic menu.

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:48:56 -0800

Hi Jack,

I've tried the "regular" way for XP and found it difficult to find programs
I'd not used in a while.  So I switched back to the classic menu.  Heh.  The
first time I did that, I panicked, not knowing how to get it done.  I sat
there thinking about what to do next, and what I did to get in this spot.
Then I found the Start menu options and found the classic menu radio button.
Whew!

Daniel, I think that's why Microsoft designed the menu system as it is when
Windows is first installed.  They may have wanted users to get to commonly
used stuff quickly without having to move through menus.  However, I think
they underestimate the user base.  Once someone figures out how to do a
function, they can do it.  I'm teaching people aged 85 where I work, and
they catch on pretty fast.  They are not babies.  There's a lot of redundant
features in Windows, which can confuse, but once a person knows how to do
something, they can make it work.  So I show people how to do it both ways
and let them make the decision.

Francis