Re: safe mode?

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 18:42:07 -0800

Hi,
You wrote:

  Hello everyone.

  Always been curious about this. What does everyone else do when the computer
needs to be booted into safe mode?

  I can't boot my machines into safe mode without sighted assistance.
  How come after all these years there isn't a way to get speech in this
all-important area? Seems kind of insane...or am I missing some magic solution
that should be obvious?

  No, I don't think so.  When you boot into safe mode, your machine loads only
the essential drivers, and those don't include drivers for audio devices,
unfortunately.

  Some years ago, I saw a machine in safe mode drive a serially-attached
Dectalk synthesizer with a version of Window-Eyes, but it couldn't be done with
JAWS at the time.

  Thinking about this issue raises an interesting question. Since USB drivers
are loaded in safe mode for keyboards, mice and so on,  I wonder if it would be
possible for FS to develop a safe driver that could be used with a USB-attached
hardware synthesizer, or, if you could use a USB sound device and use Eloquence
or other software synthesizers with it. That would be really cool.  I just
don't have the technical knowledge to determine if something like that is
feasible.  Until then, I just have to find somebody with working eyeballs to
help me out when booting a machine into safe mode.

  Tom