Re: lost my data accessible recovery software recommendations

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:29:47 -0900

I was able to recover data from a laptop hdd that was on the fritz by
getting a USB converter for the 2 1/2 inch IDE plug.  I had to use a
Linux livecd because the drive itself was bad and simply plugging it
into a windows session would cause a reboot.  Even under Linux the
drive had a huge number of read errors, but I was at least able to get
the important stuff back.  I'm not aware of any really accessible
programs for the task.

If reset to factory default performs anything like a partition format
the above isn't going to help.  Depending on how important the data is
to you there are lots of commercial recovery firms now and the cost is
far lower than it used to be and they likely could get most if not all
your data.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx