Re: help with adobe and jaws12?

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:49:03 -0700

Carliss,

what you're seeing (or rather your brother is seeing) is a graphical image, or
picture of the page, and not a page with any text information that JAWS can
use. We often get these pages from sighted people who don't realize that they
are very different from a standard PDF file. They are simply a scanned image or
"snapshot" of a page that is pasted onto the page in the PDF file. So of course
you can count the number of pages, just like you can count the number of
photographs in your family photo album -- but of course you can't see any of
them.

Adrian explained that you need to use some program that will view the image and
convert anything that looks like text into a file that JAWS can read for us.

You say you have Openbook 8. Then you have the Freedom Import Printer
installed, also.

When you have your PDF file open in Adobe, Ctrl+P to open the print dialog, and
in the printer selection box, find Freedom Import Printer and press Enter.

This will launch Openbook and it will convert all the pages of that PDF file
into readable text.

It will not be perfect, but a lot better than staring at a virtually blank page.

Dave
Composed on a Dell Latitude 630 in the general vicinity of my Audio Recording
and Mixing Studios, San Francisco Bay Area.