Re: gmail and folders

  • From: "Negoslav Sabev" <negi4a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:36:26 +0200

Eddy, welcome to the list.
Pop and imap are different protocols that control how your e-mails are handaled. You can choose in outlook and other e-mail clients what kind of protocol you want to use to retreave your mail. They can coexist together.

Here is a small article for you.

IMAP vs. POP
What do they stand for?
definition list of 2 items
IMAP
Internet Message Access Protocol
POP
Post Office Protocol
list end

What's the difference?

The main difference, as far as we are concerned here, is the way in which
IMAP or POP controls your e-mail inbox.

When you use IMAP you are accessing your inbox on the U of M's central mail
server. IMAP does not actually move messages onto your computer. You can
think
of an e-mail program using IMAP as a window to your messages on the server.
Although the messages appear on your computer while you work with them, they
remain on the central mail server.

POP does the opposite. Instead of just showing you what is in your inbox on
the U's mail server, it checks the server for new messages, downloads all
the
new messages in your inbox onto your computer, and then deletes them from
the server. This means that every time you use POP to view your new
messages,
they are no longer on the central mail server. Figure 1 illustrates these
concepts.

IMAP
IMAP client-server diagram, both clients see same inbox

POP
POP client-server diagram, office computer retrieves new mail, home computer
then sees none
Figure 1: Accessing your inbox, IMAP versus POP.

IMAP makes it easier to view mail from home, work, and other locations

Because IMAP leaves all of your messages on the central mail server, you can
view these messages from any location with Internet access. This means the
U of M e-mail inbox you view from home will be the same one you see at work.

Since POP downloads new messages to your computer and removes them from the
server, you will not be able to see those new messages on another computer
when
you check your inbox. Those messages exist only on the computer that
downloaded them using POP.

However, if you use IMAP and create e-mail folders on the server, these
folders are accessible from anywhere you read your e-mail using IMAP. If you
use
POP and create e-mail folders, they are stored locally, and you cannot
access these folders from anywhere except the computer on which you created
them.

POP can create problems if you alternate between it and IMAP. There is an
option in many POP e-mail programs to leave copies of the messages on the
server,
but this option has complications. When you leave copies of the messages on
the server, then access your e-mail using WebMail or another IMAP e-mail
client,
the POP client may create duplicate messages next time it accesses the
inbox; you will see each of the messages more than once, and you will have
to clean
out (delete) the unwanted ones.

You may want to keep local copies

While using IMAP to save e-mail on the central mail server is recommended,
there are reasons to have local copies of messages (messages downloaded to
the
computer, as with POP). Fortuanately, IMAP allows you to keep local copies
of all your messages. The option of local copies is useful when you are
connecting
from a dial-up connection. You may want to download your messages, then
disconnect from the Internet and work with your mail offline. Please note
that
while you are working offline, you cannot send or receive mail. You need to
be connected to the Internet to do those tasks.

taken from
http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/email/imapvspop.html

Negoslav
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eddy" <eddy44@xxxxxxx>