Re: Two lazy questions

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:43:30 -0600

Lenny

Like I've said before, if this person you're working with is a relatively
new computer user, you guys really are bettter off just using a regular
e-mail program like Outlook for example.  Things are more straight forward
and more easily defined and understandable with an e-mail program.  Because
you're sighted, what you see is what you get. But sometimes a screenreader
reads things that aren't seen by the user because they might be imbeded in
the website, or links may not be labeled properly.  It is much easier and a
lot faster to send, receive and reply to mail and set up an addressbook
with Outlook or Eudora rather than having to do all kinds of extra
commands.  Yahoo is like any other service with a screenreader, thesubject
of the e-mail is a link and after clicking on it, you have to get past all
the stuff at the top of the page to read the message. You then have to find
a reply link, then find the appropriate edit box and type in your message
and click send.  Lots to do there.  With a regular program, you open the
message and it's read to you automatically. You press control plus r to
reply, type your message and then hit the appropriate hotkey for the
program you're using, with Outlook it's control plus s.  So as you can see,
a regular program is much much  easier and faster for a visually impaired
person.