Re: SoundForge or other audio editting programs

  • From: "Ray Foret Jr." <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:55:06 -0600

You'll find that the defaults will work quite nicely here.  You can press F
6 to show the transport controls, but, you'll find that doing a little key
mapping ahead of time will take you much farther much faster.  Press alt+k
to access the keyboard short cuts to accomplish this.  I too could not find
those items indicated in version 1.5 and will read the manual and right you
off list in greater detail about this.  You will want to
do some re-mapping of the assignments to the clip boards however.  The
reason is that control+1 control+2 and control+3 have key conflicts with the
scripts.
I use alt+shift+1 through alt+shift+6 for my clip board assignments.
Also, I re-mapped the keys for rewind and fast forward while key pressed.  I
use f for ff while key pressed and r for rr while key pressed.  I also used
h for moving left side of selection to the left, j for moving left side of
selection to the right, k for moving right side of selection to the left and
l for moving right side of selection to the right.  alt+shift+n can be used
for noise reduction, alt+shift+h for hiss reduction, alt+shift+c for
automated click and pop suppressionand so forth.  At this point, I need to
make a more JAWS relevant remark.  With these new scripts, to obtain the
total time of the wave form while recording, you can use either
control+shift+1 or else just use the end key while recording.  You'll find
that either command will give you the actual time elapsed.  Be aware of the
fact that while you're recording, the end key can serve as a kind of time
elapsed meter because the time counter is set to follow the total length of
the wave form.  Same with control+shift+1.

    Before recording a .wav form, make sure you uncheck live scroling while
recording and playing.  IF you don't, you're audio may skip on you because
Adobe Audition 1.5 pulls rather hard on the cpu with this item checked.  Set
your buffer to 2 and set the number of buffers to 10.  Also, increase your
buffer size to 250.

    In a multi-track environment, if you want to record on a track, just
arrow to it then tab to the arm button and press enter on it.  When done,
press stop and you need to go back to the arm button and disarm the track
before moving on to the next one.  This way, you can play the first track
while recording on the second one.  Just make sure you arm track 2 to record
before trying this.  It's best to give each track it's own name; so, when
you get to a track you want to name, make sure you're on the left side of
the row and it will say, "track 1" or "track 2" or what ever.  Then, to
assign a name to it, press enter on that field and type the name you wish.
Right me off list if you need to know more.

Sincerely,

The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray

Home Phone and Fax: (985)853-0139
e-mail and Windows Messenger: