Re: JFW usage wit regards to DSL or a cable modem

  • From: "Richard Sherman" <squirman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:01:01 -0800

Hi,
A good website to check out for information like this is

http://www.dslreports.com/

The price you mentioned is pretty good.

As for setting them up most should be mostly accessible with jaws. It is
mostly plug and play. If you think you will need help ask them what costs
may be associated with a home visit by a tech.

Both ways work just fine in terms of speed. Cable usually is a bit faster in
most area's. Phone is more dedicated to just one person. If you are in a
metro area or such with Comcast you might notice a slow down around 6 pm
when everyone gets home and turns on their system. Not so much with over the
phone. Setup costs are also something to take into consideration. Don't
lease the modem, buy it.

For cable they will also have to put in another jack in your residence if
that matters. The cable line for the computer must be the first one on the
circuit and that is why they do that.

One other note. After going high speed you should put yourself behind a
router for safety. Some software kinds are pretty good but a hardware one is
better in my opinion.

rich