Re: JAWS and Spanish

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:06:40 -0500

I promise to desist, for a while at least, after this message.

The topic concerning special symbols and foreign accents continues to be
raised on this list, nearly all responses to inquiries also continue to tout
insert 4 or use of the alt key and ascii codes. Though I and others
occasionally suggest an infinitely easier solution for those who write in
another language, i.e., the addition of a foreign keyboard map, almost no
one seems to follow this approach. I cannot help but wonder why this is.
Jaws makes keyboard switching very easy. Also, Word will automatically
switch them for one if the keyboard has been installed through the control
panel. So too will the synthesizer automatically switch into the appropriate
language if the language setting in JFW is set to on. No one need remember
either exotic keystrokes or impossible to recall ascii codes using this
approach.

Okay folks. Enough of my soapbox on this subject. For those serious language
learners or foreign language users, do look into the supplemental software
keyboard solution. As they say in ads, you'll be very glad you did.

Jerry