[jawsscripts] Re: scripting file count.

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:22:49 -0700

You'll likely want to use the PositionInGroup() function. It accepts 1
parameter, e.g., for the window u want the info spoken (likely
getFocus()) & returns a string. Thus:
Say(PositionInGroup(GetFocus()),ot_position)

Just FYI, the way I found this out was that when I did a sayline() I
noticed that it did precisely what u were talking about. So I examined
that script until I found where the information was spoken. This is
not a reprimand--it's instruction in how to find out how to do what
you're wanting to do. As your former instructor in several venues, I
felt entitled lol. But it also might help beginner scripters to get
ideas.

On 3/26/11, Mario Brusco <mrb620@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     hi all, I was looking to assign a keystroke to announce the # of the
> file in a folder. I.a. when in explorer and focused on a file, the
> control+insert+1 will announce the file name, control+insert+2 announces the
> file size, etc. what I want to do is assign control+insert+` to announce
> file count (2 of 40).
>
> I have looked at the default and internet source files but can't track down
> how to do it. I think what I want to do is beyond what I can do with
> scripting, as my knowledge is not matured enough to not ask the list.
>
> can someone help me out, please? unless it's already available, in which
> case... what keys do this?

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Jaws Scripting training materials:
www.screenreaderscripting.com